Wednesday, October 1, 2014

White Christmas (Repainting a Christmas Village)


Sorry it has been so very long since I've had anything interesting to share.  Sometimes life just gets in the way.  I have been working on projects for people, but not really anything that I felt was worthy of a post......enough about that.


Today while in the midst of other work, I decided to tackle one fun thing.  Last year Karli mentioned that she would love to have her Christmas Village painted white........Then she would perhaps want to display it at her home for the Holidays.  That meant she was interested in taking all those boxes that Mom had stored all these years.

Say what..........She'd had these since she was just a little girl.  People started getting them for her as gifts.  She does have a few pieces that are Dept. 56, but many of them were purchased for her at the Grocery Store or Drug Store.  Some are not of the highest quality.  That is why I am willing to paint them.....and also the fact that they are hers, even though I've been storing them for the last 25 years.  She can do with them what she wishes.  So......white they will be.

I found this picture of how she set them all up one year.  She spent hours working with the snow to hide the cords and also to get the trees just right.  And then, there were all those little village people who had to "stand up" in that snow.  Oh, the memories.




This was the last year she set them all up.  She put them on the shelves above the buffet in the dining room here at home.  I had made the "sky" on the top shelf out of painted plywood.  If you look closely you'll see Santa riding across the moon.


But.....that was a long time ago.  She is over that now.  The Christmas Village needed a fresh new look so here is the one house that I started with.


The colors were a little bright and "perhaps gawdy" so I decided if it turned out terrible it would only be a small loss.  This particular ceramic house was also extremely shiny, maybe even more than a little bit cheap looking.  It did not even have a brand name on the bottom.

  

I used the Krylon Dual Spray Paint in Flat White.  It has the built in primer so I didn't sand the house or anything.  Just sprayed on three light coats.  (Easy Peasy!)


                  Here are the befores:







                  Here are the afters:





I think Karli is going to love these. They have a fresh new look and will be beautiful at her home this Christmas season.  I think she had a great idea for making these into something that she will love again.  I'm betting they will give her almost as much enjoyment now as they did when she was only 8.  And, if I hadn't painted them, they would still be stored in boxes at my house. 


Look for a post later when she displays this "White Christmas Village" at her house.

Happy Holidays,
Kandy

No comments:

Post a Comment