Monday, February 11, 2013

How to Hide Entertainment Center Wires

Remember that old thrift store buffet that my mom repurposed into an entertainment center for us? We love the style and storage it offers us, but the challenge was hiding all the wires (and wires and more wires) since the lower portion is "open." I seriously wish I had a before picture of the MESS of wires you could see under the buffet. I did get a picture of the back so you can see the sheer mass I had to deal with.


Look at all those wires! You can see the start of my organization here (and Porter's tennis ball).

In come the zip ties, thumb tacks, a few finishing nails and patience (a virtue I really do try to possess). First I had to straighten all the wires and figure out what wire was leading to what component. I bundled everything together with zip ties and then started tacking them along the back of the buffet.


Here you can see how I used the zip ties to keep the cords bundled and attached to the back of the buffet.
 I also put two small finishing nails in the back of the buffet to hold the power strip up off the floor. In case you've never noticed, most power strips have holes on the back so you can easily do this!

Now I can sit on the couch and relax instead of feeling anxious about the mess of cords and wires right in front of my face. (Does anyone else feel anxious if they are surrounded by any sort of mess? I hope it's not just me.)

If you look closely you can still see the one cable cord coming out of the floor. I can live with that!
~Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment