Tuesday, January 1, 2013

DIY Bridal Hair Flower with a Special Family Heirloom

"If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair." ~The Mamas and the Papas, 1967

When I got engaged, I knew I wanted to incorporate many of the family heirlooms I'm blessed to now possess. One of the pieces was this beautiful brooch I inherited from my great grandmother Pearl. I'd worn it as a brooch several times, but it felt so special and perfect for a wedding!

As I browsed wedding magazines and sites like TheKnot.com and MarthaStewart.com I was drawn to large, delicate flowers placed in hair. Brent has always told me I'm a little bit of a hippie, so this comes as no surprise. The clincher was when I tried on wedding dresses and this beauty was put in my hair just for fun.
I fell in love with it, but didn't want to pay $190 for something I felt like I could make.

So I put the two items together...the brooch and the idea for a DIY hair flower. The template I used is no longer posted on Martha's website, but you can simply create a template of a large flower.
 
Buy fabric that coordinates with your dress and start cutting! I mixed mine up with some very fine organza and some silk shantung because I wanted a variety of textures. I probably cut out about 20 of the flowers and then stitched them together. I then sewed three small hair clips on to the back.

My great grandmother's brooch was the crowning jewel in the center.



Here's the finished product in my hair on my wedding day.
My wedding photos were taken by A and A Photography. Visit their site and blog!

~Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment